[Strawbale] [FWD] rainscreens, straw decay

Brian Waite brian at brianwaite....uk
Sat Feb 28 13:09:11 CET 2009

Ref. Rainscreens:
When I started my design of strawbalehouse I was concerned about keeping
moisture levels in the bales at an acceptable level and unhappy about just
using roof overhangs to keep the walls dry because this area of the UK (the
Lake District) is the
land of horizontal rain.  No amount of eaves overhang would be satisfactory
and a veranda would be out of place.  So I have totally covered the bales
with clay
tiles and the chimney effect created by the ventilation air entering at
gutter level which is one meter up and exiting at the ridge at 7.5meters
should draw plenty of air over the
exterior of the (lime rendered) bales. This natural draw should be amplified
by any solar warming of the tiles. To see more visit
www.strawbalehouse.co.uk and/or ask for detailed sketches from myself.
Unfortunately, I am the first to admit, my design will have no credibility
until I can build the prototype to prove it's predicted performance. (I have
been fighting the planners for two years) Brian