[Strawbale] use of ashes in clay plasters and/or floors

Rikki Nitzkin rikkinitzkin at earthlink...
Wed Feb 4 14:14:57 CET 2009

Hi all in a debate on the Spanish list serve, talking about
"insulating" clay floors, the following observation was made:

"Otra pregunta: no sé si en la capa de aislamiento se podría añadir
además ceniza?. Sé que la ceniza se utiliza como muy buen aislante en
hornos de barro tanto en la solera del horno como mezclada con el
barro (yo mismo la he empleado). Sería una posibilidad de reutilizar
un residuo sobretodo la gente que produce cantidades importantes
(chimeneas, cocinas económicas, estufas...)."

"one more question: I don't know if in the insulation layer (of the
clay floor) it would be possible to add ashes? I know that ashes are
frequently used as good insulation in clay ovens-both in the floor of
the oven and in the clay. Would it be possible to re-use a residue
(ashes) that many people produce in important cuantities?

note: here in spain a lot of people still use wood-burning stoves and
ovens, as well as fire-places...

Any thoughts or comments?

Rikki