[Strawbale] Carbon

Brian Waite brian at brianwaite....uk
Sat Nov 3 19:22:07 CET 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Waite
To: European strawbale building discussions
Sent: Saturday, November 03, 2007 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: [Strawbale] RV: [Paja] Datos sobre una bala de paja

 It is argued by some more qualified than myself that because carbon is locked into the straw during its growth, that carbon is effectively "banked" thereby offsetting the carbon in the other building materials so that a strawbale building can have a

zero or even negative carbon rating. This line of reasoning seems to me to be more valid than the "offsets" used to cancel out our extravagancies with token gestures.

   Another plus for SB: Research is now showing that because farmers are not allowed to burn off straw, and have to plough it back into the soil, this is creating a problem with soil fertility inasmuch as straw needs fungal action for it to decompose and there is now an excess of fungi building up in the soil, year by year, seriously depleting its' fertility. Brian www.strawbalehouse.co.uk