[Strawbale] Re: round houses

André de Bouter forum at lamaisonenpaille...
Wed Mar 21 14:14:22 CET 2007

Hello Rikki,

Rob Tom said ....If bending/laminating 19mm thick lumber into curves is
deemed to be too challenging, then making the beam an octagon (or
similar polygon) would do the trick but wouldn't be a continuous (and
hence stronger) beam as in the case of the former....

One way of making the fabrication of the curved ring beam easier is to
make it on the foundation before the bales go up. That way you have the
exact curve and something solid to work with to keep your planks in
place before all is glued/hamered/bolted in place. You then place the
ringbeam aside (in pieces if it is a very big and heavy beam) so the
wall can be raised).

Bye,

André