[Strawbale] Re: round houses

Rob Tom ArchiLogic at yahoo...
Wed Mar 21 00:06:35 CET 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 06:13:16 -0400, Rikki  Nitzkin
<rikkinitzkin at earthlink...> wrote:

> Can anyone send me photos/advice about building round roof/base plates
> for loadbearing, round SB houses?

Rikki and You're-o-pee'in RoundHeads;

Assuming that you wouldn't try to make a wall-width, monolithic
cast-in-place concrete beam that would be nothing more than a massive
thermal bridge (but would be the easiest to fabricate),  box beams using
laminations of 19mm thick (or similar) lumber (staggering the joints from
one lamination to the next, as well as offsetting the  joints in the web
material and adding shear plates at those joints) to construct the cords
would be a good choice-- "good" in the sense that box beams would consume
a minimum of lumber while providing the necessary strength and insulative
properties consistent with the SB walls on which they sit.

The sizing of the chords and webs would need to be determined for the
specific loading conditions.

If bending/laminating 19mm thick lumber into curves is deemed to be too
challenging, then making the beam an octagon (or similar polygon) would do
the trick but wouldn't be a continuous (and hence stronger) beam as in the
case of the former.

The joints would be re-inforced most easily with the use of steel bands at
the outer face to provide the tension to resist outward thrust (assuming
no centre pole or collar ties) and sheet steel or sheet lumber gussets
across both faces of the joints to resist shear.

=== * ===
Rob Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada
<A r c h i L o g i c   at  c h a f f y a h o o   dot   c a >
winnow the chaff from my edress in your reply
--
=== * ===