[Strawbale] load bearing in the Algarve

André de Bouter forum at lamaisonenpaille...
Sat Jul 7 06:05:49 CEST 2007

For more information on design considerations in seismic areas read
"Design of SB Buildings" by Bruce King.

Although I'm really not a fan of 'masonry-post and beam' it might be
difficult to find an alternative in Portugal. In Andalusia I
participated in the build of a sb house. A carpenter was found to build
the post and beam structure but he had clearly never built a post and
beam structure before in his life as almost all construction in that
region is done with masonry (even roof structures!). An alternative
could be to have a carpenter come from a more nordic country.

Best regards,

André de Bouter
www.lamaisonenpaille.com