[Strawbale] Re: Green roofs

Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer at hetnet...
Sun Oct 1 23:12:30 CEST 2006

Amit,

I built such a small LB SB house about 3 years ago with a living roof.
As far as I know it is still in perfect condition. The waterproof
membrane is EPDM which is a form of rubber. Since then I have always
used EPDM as a roof membrane and I am a keen advocate of green roofs.
Normally I suggest the owner use the services of a green roof system
supplier. But it is quite feasible to do it yourself but that does
involve quite a bit of research.

What Patrick suggests is actually a very good suggestion ( see last
mail below) but does take a lot of time. To build up a sufficient stock
of sedum or other suitable plants. Maybe the best place is the roof.
Start off with some bought plants and see what happens. Keep on
removing plain grass and weeds as they die out during dry periods
leaving the roof bare susceptible to erosion. You can seriously reduce
the weight of a green roof by using a sepcial substrate with a lot of
perlite. The last roof I was involved with is in IJburg check out
www.strobouw.nl follow links English>SB houses> IJburg weighs only
40kg/m^2

Rene