[Strawbale] External cladding

Mark Bigland-Pritchard mark at lowenergydesign...
Tue May 2 17:45:07 CEST 2006

Eric -

I have no experience of using a cladding system, but there is one
challenge inherent in such a system that I think should be addressed.

There is a disparity between directly-measured U-values for strawbale
walls and U-values calculated from measured thermal conductivity of bale
samples; the best explanation anyone has been able to give for this is
slow convection currents in - or rather around the outside of - the bale
wall.  The disparity was worst in the case of the least professionally
plastered test in the US.  I would therefore expect the thermal
performance of a system which uses cladding _instead of_ external render
to be substandard.

You could of course render it anyway (maybe you could get away with only
5 to 10mm - I'm not sure on this), and have the cladding system as well.

Mark