[Strawbale] greek SB building

asbn asbn at baubiologie...
Wed Mar 8 13:15:14 CET 2006

Dear Lucy

John Glassford (Huff'n Puff Strawbale-Construction, Australia) describes
three methods of (alternative) foundations for strawbale-homes with less
cement.
You can see it at:
http://www.earthgarden.com.au/strawbale/footings.html

The argumentation,that even Frank Lloyd Wright used this kind of foundation
for his most famous buildings might persuade local planning departments.

I Think, it is, what you meant, using too much cement for foundations.

Otherwise - if you mean cement as stucco (hopefully not!)-, it was tested in
a simulation, that strawbales with earthen plaster have a much better
earthquake-proof-performance than cement-stuccos. It was tested by DCAT, I
think. I have the paper-copy, if you need that.

One more thing, concerning "long-term deflection on walls with different
combinations of plaster" and load and "capacity of walls with different
combinations of plaster and mesh to resist load perpendicular to the face",
there is a summary of these tests on Bruce King's site:
http://www.ecobuildnetwork.org/index.htm?http&&&www.ecobuildnetwork.org/stra
wbale.htm

Sorry, if my english is not the best
Best wishes,