[Strawbale] Re: Strawbale Digest, Vol 9, Issue 1

Rene Dalmeijer rene.dalmeijer at hetnet...
Mon Jun 5 13:12:45 CEST 2006

Eric,

The tests done by John Zang in Australia show that about 4% compression
of total wall height is required. This will not solve the differential
settlement of SB walls and the window frames. SB walls with earth
plaster will always display a certain percentage of creep over time,
much more so then vertical wood posts. At present we have very little
idea how much creep besides that it is not much. Reports vary from 50mm
to less then discernible. Where a few mm is the most common. I suppose
50mm takes place where insufficient pre-compression has been applied.

Besides the above I would seriously recommend you to reconsider the use
of threaded bar to pre-compress the straw bales and use packing straps
instead. The threaded bar is a real pain in the neck and it also
creates a condensation point right in the middle of the bales. In most
cases where SB walls have been taken down revealing the central pins
show decomposing straw around the all thread specifically in the bottom
bales. The condensate trickles down the all thread.

Rene