[Strawbale] convection and humidity in straw bale walls

Mark Bigland-Pritchard mark at lowenergydesign...
Fri Jan 6 23:50:24 CET 2006

So far as I am aware, nobody has done the necessary experiments to
confirm that it actually happens. This would be a quite expensive
process, involving test rooms built to the appropriate
European/international/American standard, and used for multiple wall
assemblies (plus probably use of a radioactive tracer for some tests). I
think somebody should do it, but it is entirely understandable that
nobody has as yet.
Convection remains, however, the most plausible explanation for the
differences in results between official tests to measure conductivity of
a straw sample and official tests to measure R-value of a wall assembly.
(The residual differences after adjustment of conductivity values to
allow for moisture content, that is)
I don't, however, see any benefit in full barriers between each course,
as this would most likely result in thermal bridging; and you will need
to explain to me the mechanism that is being suggested for convection
currents leading to rot.
What might work, however, is partial barriers - and this is something
I'd like to see put through the aforesaid standard test procedure.
According to fluid mechanics standard texts, convective flow through a
porous medium that is taller than it is wide is almost exclusively in
the outer layers. It may be that small strategically-placed inserts of
non-porous material could break up this flow rather than diverting it.
If there is anyone out there with good cfd software, I would be very
interested to see the results of modelling this one.
atb,
Mark
Borden, Saskatchewan