[Strawbale] roofing material

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt...
Mon Jan 2 18:33:28 CET 2006

paul sheraton wrote:

> Im hoping someone can help me out with finding out information
> regarding tent like roof coverings.
> Tom Rijven is interested in finding ways to cover buildings and houses
> using a tent like stucture that is permament and long lasting. Does
> any one here have any experience with suitable canvas type materials?
> Or does anyone have any suggestions with taking this approach to
> roofing solution or can point me in the directi0on of good advice?

Are you talking about long-term or permanent? Permanant stability in the
world of plastics is pretty hard to some by. If you search the net for
'tension structures' tons of stuff comes up. Here's some of the more
promising looking ones:

http://www.shadestructures.com.au/
http://www.eideindustries.com/index/tensionstructures.htm
http://dmoz.org/Business/Construction_and_Maintenance/Materials_and_Supplies/Special_Construction/Fabric_Structures/

Hope that helps, Duncan

PS: The environmental load varies with the different materials and some
of them are regarded as potentially poisonous for living in/under.