[Strawbale] re re Sask. foundations

paul sheraton psheraton at hotmail...
Fri Feb 17 18:18:11 CET 2006

I really like the method of using some type of pourous material as a trench
fill onto which the footings can be laid. Sea shells are a great idea, or
gravel though this wont provide as much insulation. Another good material is
igneous rock, golfball size pieces of pourous volcanic rock are great for
drainage, some insulation properties, and can be very cheap if you can
source  a local supply as its often the transport which costs the most.

The rubble/gravel can also be put within the area of the trench itself,
though not as deep and the internal flor laid or floated over it again
providing drainage and insulation. Prehaps its a good idea if some form of
airation is provided, a lime concrete slab can then be poured ontop as a
floor base.

What if I were to dig over size post holes to place wooden post around which
can be poured a pourous material?