[Strawbale] Loadbearing wall

asbn asbn at baubiologie...
Sat Apr 22 14:26:18 CEST 2006

Dear loadbearing strawbalers

In Austria there are many strawbalehouses, but only one little shed built
loadbearing. So we have not much experience with loadbearing
strawbale-construction.

In this summer in Carinthia the first Austrian two-story-loadbearing
passivehouse will be built, planned by architect Winfried Schmelz, made with
strawbales in size 160 x 80 x 50 cm, on edge, so the wall is 50 cm thick.
The walls will be precompressed by threaded iron.

Does anyone know, with which load (in t) we have to compress the walls, that
there is no more compression afterwards?
Does anyone know the compression in cm per m at standard-wheat-bales in this
size?

I know there are a lot of tests but in measurements and language, I don't
really completely understand.

Best wishes from Austria
Herbert Gruber, ASBN
Austrian Strawbale Network