[Strawbale] RE: Strawbale Digest, Vol 1, Issue 520

Chug. chug at strawbale-building....uk
Mon Nov 7 10:32:53 CET 2005

Hi Ruth

I offer this explanation courtesy of Harry 'the lime' Francis

I think one will find that olive oil has fatty acids that react with the lime to make a water insoluble soap....makes the wall
waterproof and helps make a nice polish....
Its the same chemical reaction that causes a ring in the bathtub if you have hard water....   Oil ( fatty acids) from your skin +
lime make calcium soap..ie. bathtub ring.

I'm not sure how the planning works for business use, I strongly recommend you have a look at Simon Fairlie's Chapter 7 website,
http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/
he is the best source of info on the vagaries of the planning system in the UK, but planning has nothing to do with what materials
you can use they only cover size, position, exterior finish etc, what building materials you can actually use comes under the
jurisdiction of building control.

bale on
Chug
chug at strawbale-building....uk