[Strawbale]Some loadbearing compression ideas/questions

Huff'n'Puff huffnpuff at shoal....au
Thu May 5 23:34:07 CEST 2005

G ‘day Rene et al

I always pre-compress my walls even in buildings using the in-fill or
post and beam method.  Our testing at the University of New South Wales
showed that even with pre-compressed walls we did get some creep in the
render.

I usually get at least 100mm pre-compression which gives me a sense of
security before we load up the roof.  We are now using a different
method of pre-compression and I will describe the method in some detail
on SB r-us one day soon with some photos in the files section.

The roof should go on as soon as the walls are up in the case of load
bearing and we use load bearing as our preferred method of building in
straw bale.  I do not like the dip method for many practical reasons and
would not use it as I feel it is very cumbersome and how do you get
straight walls using this method?

Nothing against Tom Rijven’s method but not for us.

Kind regards
The Straw Wolf
HYPERLINK
"http://strawbale.archinet.com.au"http://strawbale.archinet.com.au