[Strawbale]Re: bales on the side

c'Lanne moroney cam at dds...
Tue Mar 8 17:03:56 CET 2005

bales on edge - would that not provide a more difficult key for the
eventual plaster, the key being the shoot-ends of the material? i wonder
how the walls settle? the crucial loadbearing zone being between the
bale-strings....any data on this?
with regards to the key - cladding of another sort could then be considered
- for instance, [external] the transparent corrugated rainshield as was
used in the sarah wigglesworth house in islington. internally, a slat and
board finish also allows for more wall use - its notoriously difficult to
fix anything a daub wall....
less 'pure', i know, but we dont need to remain purists, eh?

c'Lanne moroney, b.arch, msc.arch