[Strawbale]Re: Strawbale digest, Vol 1 #474 - 7 msgs

fostertom at clara....uk fostertom at clara....uk
Tue Mar 8 15:54:53 CET 2005

Hi guys

Ok, if even 40cm is too thick, that's a problem. But if there's plenty
of space, why not use two thicknesses of bales, total 90cm (in Britain
the official terminology, decided when we went metric in the 1970s, is
900, meaning 900mm, or 0.9m, never 90cm). Or yes, jumbo bales.

I'm starting on a project for a community hall in Dorset of 190m2 plus
bar and ancillary spaces, of straw bales and engineered pine poles, in 2
chambers, one round and one elliptical with reciprocal roofs, separated
by a moveable soundproof partition, to be self-built by the community.
It has to have very good noise containment, better than the 45dB that a
single bale wall seems to give. So we're looking at either 2 thicknesses
of bales, maybe with a cavity between, or one thickness but with very
thick daub (clay) internal render - perhaps 8cm thick. The double
thickness will incidentally give fabulous insulation. It will also
provide a place for an airtight but vapour-transparent breather
membrane, between the layers, to link up with other details to eliminate
accidental airchange, which becomes the biggest heat loss. We have to
have very large sealed-system heat recovery artificial ventilation, as
natural ventilation would let all the noise out. Plus special glazing
and doors. With high efficiency electric lighting, plus lots of dancing
bodies, it looks like no heating system will be needed - could even
create a nett heat gain, to be used elsewhere on the site.

The challenge is to make it light and airy, not like a bunker! I would
welcome comments, experience and test results that would help with this
project.

All the best

Tom Foster B.Sc.(Architecture) AECB
Tom Foster Architecture