[Strawbale]Mailing list

Simon Blackbourn piemanek at gmail...
Sun Mar 6 14:38:24 CET 2005

> I also believe that Walter Fass` suggestion of setting up a forum would
> make sense.
> I could set up and maintain the forum if the majority of the esbn users
> supports this suggestion.
> I am looking forward to receiving your responses.

Hi everyone

We currently have 276 people on this email list, which I think speaks
volumes for its success (we started off with just 12 people five years
ago!!). The list was set up to be a place for announcements (such as
volunteers required, new projects, etc), information requests and
questions, but not to be a place for in-depth technical discussion.

I agree that a forum is a very good idea, but I would be worried that
it would isolate many people on the list. The beauty of the email list
is that the discussions come to you, direct into your inbox. You don't
have to go find the discussion - i.e. log on, go to a website, read
the list of topics being discussed, follow the links, etc.

I often find discussions on the list turn out to be much more
interesting than I expected at the beginning (e.g. the recent
money/ethics discussion). I probably wouldn't have made the effort to
check out that topic in a discussion forum.

My proposal is that the email list is kept as it is, and that in-depth
(especially technical) discussions take place in the forum. When
someone starts a new discussion topic in the forum, they can send a
message to the list with a link, so people know about it and can then
visit and take part if they wish.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers
Simon (list administrator)