[Strawbale]Fungus and beetles

fostertom at clara....uk fostertom at clara....uk
Tue Mar 1 20:03:49 CET 2005

Hello again. This is interesting.

First, in UK I'm glad to say it's not obligatory for carpenter/builders
to supply only treated timber, in fact treatment is usually done to
special order, as the timber merchants stock mainly untreated timber.
There are still many institutions (such as mortgage lenders) that
ignorantly insist on treated timber but the awareness is growing that
it's really unnecessary, at least for internal timber that will stay
dry. Commercially treated timber is bad because it forces you to live in
an environment full of copper, chrome, arsenic, organic poisons etc. It
should only be handled with gloves and waste timber should not be burnt.
Imported softwood will suffer fungus and insect attack if it stays wet
but readily available UK-grown softwoods such as Douglas Fir and Western
Red Cedar, plus the hardwoods such as Oak, have varying levels of
natural resistance, so can safely be used untreated, depending on their
location in the building.

Boron preservatives are easily obtained, for example ProBor
www.safeguardchem.com.

Waterglass - I didn't know that - thanks.

Slaked lime is also easily obtained, for example Calch Ty-Mawr
www.lime.org.uk. - but splashes badly burn the skin, so great care is
needed. Once dry and oxidised, it's harmless.

Check out www.aecb.net.

Best wishes,

Tom Foster B.Sc (Architecture) AECB
Tom Foster Architecture