[Strawbale]straw and earthquakes

Brand J.H.J. J.H.J.Brand at phys....nl
Thu Jan 27 08:50:44 CET 2005

Dear Luca,

i know little about strawbale houses but one thing is clear: they are being
pulled together by strings. Unlike regular houses, this is both a bit
flexible and can withstand pulling forces. It might also be interesting to
see how much energy gets absorbed by the bales. to give you an idea: a
spring typically keeps resonating when you excite it but a shockabsorber
turns the motion into heat. I think a strawbale is more of a shockabsorber
then a spring.

This is the quick analysis of an engineer but i dont have much experience
with strawbales yet. I'm sure you will find more info about it though

Bye

DeeTale or Joost