[Strawbale] Re: Glass bottle insulation

Tim Owen-Kennedy timok at vitalsystems...
Wed Dec 7 21:50:33 CET 2005

Hi Rikki,

The bottle thing sounds plausible, though I've never tried it.  I would
think that staggering two layers would be best and help a ton with the
thermal bridging at the joints. Of course you would have to have the room to
do that. I would really warn you against using straw clay as your floor
insulation. We've had to tear out floors that had straw clay for insulation.
I've talked with Bill Steen about it a few times and among the many things
he'd like to change about that pamphlet on earthen floors Straw clay would
be the first. We have been using lava rock or pumice as our sub floor
insulation. Compacts great and has the best balance of mass and insulation
value of any natural material I've used.

Best of luck,

Tim

Tim Owen-Kennedy, President
Vital Systems Natural Building & Design, Inc.
P O Box 751, Ukiah, CA 95482
www.vitalsystems.net
888.859.6336