[Strawbale]Clay-Straw Sauna

Jan Hollan jhollan at amper....muni.cz
Tue Jun 15 10:58:19 CEST 2004

> B. Yesterday I was searching for strawbales in a handeble size. With the new
> technology of huge roll size or 2 meter block size straw bales, I don't see
> how we can continue building strawbale houses? How is the builders
> experience, since I don't have any yet?
> Many greetings Carina

Hi Carina,

there are some buildings from giant bales already (not from the round
ones...). A recent example is
  http://www.strohhaus.com, link Presse and that pdf
 (http://www.strohhaus.com/presse/stohhausartikel_mit_bildern.pdf).

Just in the roof the old small bales have been used (I guess: to be able
to install them with bare hands, and perhaps to save some 100 kg/m2
constant load of the roof).

Another short description is at
    Im Grünen Rheinland-Pfalz - SWR.de

The future of small bales is in their production specifically for building
purposes, with guarantied properties (mechanic, thermal, geometric) and
low variability. In Austria, there are two guys offering 25 cm thick bales
for retrofits (they have adapted the standard press this way)... (Erwin
said me so, I don't know them).

cheers,
 jenik