[Strawbale]Straw Query from, Australia

Ján Rendek rendek at hotmail...
Tue Jun 15 09:15:43 CEST 2004

Hi

My name is Jan Rendek and I come from Slovak Republic, Central Europe. From
what I know, waste straw is used as bedding for cows (an industry in decline
here), and that's it. I am almost sure if someone came to them and wanted to
buy bales, they would be more than happy to sell them. If I strike an
agreement with my father to remodel our cottage with straw bales, I will
have to find some supplier.

Here in Slovakia, farmers bale straw into either blocks or these huge disks.

Slovakia has a "corn belt" in south (mostly wheat) in the region bordering
with Hungary. Hungary may have a huge surplus of straw (almost entirey flat
country, intensive agriculture).

Before I go into details, do you contemplate importing straw bales from
Europe into Australia? If so, you must have some secret solution 'cause I
cannot imagine how could that be profitable (due to low price, low wight and
high volume of these bales).

Jan