[Strawbale]Re: [SB-r-us] strawbale help for Iraq

Mark Bigland-Pritchard // Low Energy Design hyphen at dial....com
Tue Jul 13 18:45:42 CEST 2004

I would have loved to volunteer for this one, but just cannot free up
any time at the moment.  I hope and pray that they find someone
suitable.  Did they give any indication of timescale?  (presumably this
year, and before the snows start?)

I talked last night with a woman who works most of the time running a
street kids / employment training project in Sulimaniyah (in Iraqi
Kurdistan), and who happens to be back in Britain for a couple of weeks.
 (She doesn't know the project, but could probably find out about it.)
 Her view is that safety is not a major issue in the Kurdish-controlled
area (though her project does choose to employ guards for its office and
for her home).  If, of course, the project is further south, near Kirkuk
or Mosul, then the risks are a lot higher.

I also asked her about access to the country.  She used to have to cross
semi-legally from Syria, but now can get in without any difficulties.
 NGO organisers usually fly to Amman (where their organisations' bank
accounts are!), then on to Baghdad and up to Kurdistan, but she
recommended that the best way to get in now is through Turkey - closest
airport is Diyarbakir, then it's most of a day's bus ride across the
mountains from there, but with much less bureaucratic hassle.

I'm cross-posting this to the European strawbale list in case someone
can help.  Presumably any volunteer needs to contact you, Eric?

atb,
Mark Bigland-Pritchard
Bristol, England