[Strawbale]That great glue!

chris newton chris at newtonhouse...
Sat Aug 7 04:11:14 CEST 2004

G'day Rikki
Casein is an amino acid found in milk, it is concentrated in milk whey -
which is used to make products such as Quark (kvark) or sour cream. Quark
has 11% casein. You can buy pure casein powder from Kreidezeit
http://www.kreidezeit.de. (this is what Frank mixed with lime at the ISBBC)
It was a lot stronger then what I have been able to reproduce using sour
cream.

Joachim Merkle spent a lot of time showing us different paint and texture
wall finished based on Casein Paste. The grand finale being the wall in Lars
and Jo's house. If not you are using Quark or sour cream - make sure you buy
the low fat variety (seriously).
As the casein is not water soluble you need to "crack" the molecule first.
This is done by mixing with lime or borax. Borax is nicer as it is not
alkaline like lime. 4 part quark:1 part borax or lime. Joackim favoured
borax as the base of his casein pastes unless it was in a wet area where
mould was a possibility. Let the mix stand for 20 minutes for the reaction
to occur between the molecules. Casein glues are also commercially
available - I have had some students who make model aircraft who use casein
glues.

I have been using casein as an adhesive on wall renders. I have only used
light sour cream (quark is not part of our Australian diet). I use it after
a body coat of earth and before a final coat of lime. I mix one part sour
cream to 10 parts water when. I spray a light coat of this mix on
immediately before applying the lime render the reaction then occurs on the
wall adding to the adhesion to the underlying earth render.
I have also brushed the sour cream mix over a final coat of lime if I am
having problems with any hair line cracks - stopped them beautifully.
I also applied it when we were putting a further coat of lime over a very
smooth layer of lime render that had poor keying - this stopped the
delamination that was occurring.

Rikki, If you were planning to tile over earth render - it would most
probable be worth while doing a lime plaster ontop of the earth render for
the area you are tiling - you then have a better surface to adhere the tiles
too. (just my throught)

Regards Chris Newton
www.newtonhouse.info