[Strawbale] newspaper insulation and waterproofing

tim Owen-Kennedy timok at vitalsystems...
Thu Jan 30 01:01:48 CET 2003

Hi Rikki,

We are inclined to stuff with straw clay mor often than loose straw as the loos straw is more likely to attract moisture and moisture problems,

Tim
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Catherine Wanek
  To: strawbale at amper....muni.cz
  Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 2:01 AM
  Subject: Re: [Strawbale] newspaper insulation and waterproofing

  At 02:16 PM 1/28/03 +0000, Rikki wrote:

    There are some gaps created by carpentry that i want to insulate before covering.  Most of these will be filled with loose straw, but in some areas it would by hard to use straw because it will fall out. I had thought of using wadded up newspaper to fill in these difficult spots.  Any comments on that idea?

  Hi Rikki --

  Generally SB builders in the US use straw-clay (leichlehm) to fill these gaps, as the clay binds the straw together and keeps it from falling out.  If clay plasters are used for the finish, it also helps to key these into the wall.

  regards,
  Catherine

  There is no greater block to world peace or inner peace than fear.... and through negative concentration we tend to attract the things we fear.  If we fear nothing and radiate love, we can expect good things to come. -- Peace Pilgrim