[Strawbale] garden wall -- and international workshops!

Catherine Wanek blackrange at zianet...
Wed Feb 12 11:39:09 CET 2003

At 09:59 AM 2/12/03 +0000, Chug wrote:
>Greetings baleheads,
>Thanks for the responses to my last post about strawbale walls, BUT what I
>should have said was,  Does anyone have any deatails for Garden walls?

Hi Chug --

There is actually a self-published how-to booklet developed by a Tucson
builder, called "How To Build Landscape and Privacy Walls."   It includes
the Tucson code for building these types of walls.  It is thorough, but
several years old, and some of its recommendations might be said to be
"overbuilding."   But it is still the only specific resource for these
walls, so I do carry it -- in fact the author Tim Farrant turned over the
materials to me, as he is now a buddist living in Hawaii.   You can find it
on our website at www.strawbalecentral.com

There is also a video I have one copy of.  I decided not to carry the
video, because -- while much of it is good -- it neglects a proper
foundation for the wall, and this is too critical an omission in my opinion.

RE -- International Workshops, Builders Without Borders is developing a
series of low-cost housing workshops in Mexico -- just across the border
from El Paso, TX -- for this spring.

We also have been in a dialogue with an interesting project developing in
Israel.

For more information visit www.BuildersWithoutBorders.org  -- which has
recently been completely revamped and updated, thanks to our new assistant
director Owen Geiger.

Regards,
Catherine Wanek
Adminstrative Coordinator
Builders without Borders
www.builderswithoutborders.org

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not
spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the
genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of
life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity
hanging on a cross of iron.
--President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953 speech