[Strawbale] Two questions:

tim Owen-Kennedy timok at vitalsystems...
Sun Sep 15 10:14:44 CEST 2002

Hello Andre,

We have sealed earth walls in much the same way we have sealed earth floors;
with multiple coats of linseed oil successively reduced by 20% with
turpentine/mineral spirits. (1st coat just linseed oil, 2nd 4:linseed oil 1:
mineral spirits, 3rd 3:Linseed 2: mineral spirits, ...) We do this until the
penetration is even and material starts to build on the surface, which we
remove (3-5 coats). We avoid boiled linseed oil because even when it says
100% pure it often contains heavy metal "Japan dryers". We boil raw linseed
oil ourselves and apply it warm-to-hot as we think this helps it penetrate
deeper. We've tried adding 10% beeswax boiled into the mix for the final
coat which has performed the best in wet conditions. On two floors we
finally went with a carnuba wax for hardness and less maintenance. We
haven't had anything in use with these scenarios more then 3 years so who
knows in the end how they will perform. Always great to test in real life if
we can.

I actually applied Linseed oil mixes to my new office floors and walls today
and the smell is almost gone...

Good luck and let us know how it goes,

Tim