[Strawbale] At what point (R value) do we reach 'enough' insulation?

Coralie & Andre de Bouter m.ep at laposte...
Tue Jun 25 13:35:10 CEST 2002

  Dear Henryk,

  I did not experiment, I have my informtion from several presentations I've seen in the US.
  What I understood is:
  When you add 5cm of insulation to a non insulated building it will make a big difference.
  However, when you add 5 cm to a building that allready has 100cm of insulation it will hardly make a difference.
  That is how the diagonal (increased insulation) becomes a curve.

  This argument was expressed in relation to the discussion about the R value of SB. Some tests show better results than other, but all agree that the insulation is 'Good enough!' since they surpassed the angle in the above mentioned curve.  I could contact 'them' in America, but they use an other R value than we do in Europe. They state about R 40 for SB where in Europe it seems to be R 6. I don't know how to convert from the American R to the European R.

  I agree that the decision on what is good enough depends on "prices of buildig materials and labour and on the cost of energy for heating  (cooling) you would find acceptable" However, in one building system the optimum could be much lower than in an other building system.

  So, if we take the price of the insulation and heating out of the calculation (since some insulation materials are extreemly cheap like straw or sheep wool, and energy prices might sky rocket some day), at what point is it 'enough'? I do realize that defining 'enough' ('reasonable optimum') will probably be difficult.

  I want to know this because it can give a scale to judge the effectiveness of a certain solution relative to the 'reasonable optimum'.
  Rather than giving just an R value (which I feel is only a number as long as we don't have a frame to place it in)

  I hope this clarifies my question,

  Greetings,
  Andre

  Hi Andre and Coralie,
  Could you explain how did you get the curve of thermal resistance R vs thickness of straw layer x? Can you send me the data obtained in your experiment?
  You suggest that R value is not proportional to x. Possible reasons : 1)not uniform properties of straw, ( for example higher moisture content in the exterior part of bale), 2) error in experimental procedure. That why I ask you for additional data.
  I guess that the answer at the question At what point (R value) do we reach 'enough' insulation?  depends on Amities Henryk Czachor