[Darksky]strong church lighting harms views from space (fwd)

Jan Hollan
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:40:53 +0200 (CEST)

I've had some discussion with Darren Baskill about the church
illumination in Boston, Lincolnshire. Most of it was on magnitude6 list,
the original posting was in the DSLF as well.

Thinking about the inspiring questions by Darren, I came to an
interesting conclusion, that anything over 1 cd/m2, as a target luminance,
poses a real problem for views from the space, in case of buildings of
appreciable height (surely of those over 30 m).

The ``final'' answer, togehter with the links to the preceding letters, is
available as
    Re: [magnitude6] Earth from above (continuing ``for your amusement'')

I'm much grateful to Das for this impulse. We've got a new argument...
should be written in a form which is easier to read, I admit my thouhgts
expresses in three letters may difficult to follow.

jenik