[Darksky]Phase Cut Dimming of LED traffic signal.

peter
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 17:59:49 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_007C_01C2CED2.B53DB790

Hello All list members ;

I am the Director of Engineering at Ecolux International in Thailand.  =
Just found and signed up to your good list while surfing.  Native NY'er.

There are some list questions about dimming of LED traffic signals.  =
Most LED traffic signals use a switching power supply (for line =
isolation and high energy efficiency) to convert 220V/120VAC to 12V or =
similar low voltage to drive the LED's.  This power supply does not =
respond well to phase cut dimming.  That's why most (but not all) LED =
signals are not dimmable using ordinary phase cut dimming.  Then =
normally 3 or 4 LED's are wired in series with one current limiting =
resistor (depending on the voltage drop of the LED's. Voltage for green =
is much higher than red).  Super bright LED's last a long time if the =
circuit is properly designed (MTBF > 2,000,000 hours at room =
temperature), and this power supply normally is the limiting factor for =
the MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) of the traffic signal.

We manufacture a line of traffic signals that are dimmable using =
ordinary phase cut dimmers.  These signals do not use a power supply.  =
They respond well to phase cut dimming.  The only problem you might =
experience is that most triacs in even a small dimmer control are rated =
600 watts or more.  Now in simple terms,  the triac is normally pulsed =
to switch it to the "on" condition.  Then it is held conducting (on) by =
load current.  Since an LED traffic light only uses 4-5 watts,  the low =
load current may not keep the triac on reliably.  This results in severe =
and unacceptable flicker at dimmed settings.  One solution (don't laugh) =
is to use another load (like a big power resistor), to hold the triac =
on.  Of course this eliminates the benefit of power savings for the LED =
signal,  so clearly not recommended.  The recommended method is to use a =
dimmer rated for very small loads.

We also do automatic night time dimming by photocell sensor and dimming =
solar flashers.  Most of our sales are 220V, but we are starting to get =
120V orders.  Our signals lack regulatory approval, which you may need =
(Thailand has no regulatory requirements yet).  So just thought you =
might like to know that dimming is very possible.  Lots of info, =
reliability info, and specs on our web site.  I hope this post is not =
too commercial.  Moderator feel free to cut.

Best Regards,

Peter Guagliano
Director of Engineering
Ecolux International Co. Ltd.
www.ecoluxint.com

------=_NextPart_000_007C_01C2CED2.B53DB790

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-874">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello All list members ;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am the Director of Engineering at =
Ecolux=20
International in Thailand.&nbsp; Just found and signed up to your good =
list=20
while surfing.&nbsp; Native NY'er.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>There are some list questions about =
dimming of LED=20
traffic signals.&nbsp; Most LED traffic signals use a switching power=20
supply&nbsp;(for line isolation and high energy efficiency)&nbsp;to =
convert=20
220V/120VAC to 12V or similar low voltage to drive the LED's.&nbsp; This =
power=20
supply does not respond well to phase cut dimming.&nbsp; That's why most =
(but=20
not all) LED signals are not dimmable using ordinary phase cut =
dimming.&nbsp;=20
Then normally 3 or 4 LED's are wired in series with one current limiting =

resistor (depending on the voltage drop of the LED's. Voltage for green =
is much=20
higher than red).&nbsp; Super bright LED's last a long time if the =
circuit is=20
properly designed (MTBF &gt; 2,000,000 hours at room temperature), and =
this=20
power supply normally is the limiting factor for the MTBF&nbsp;(Mean =
Time Before=20
Failure)&nbsp;of the traffic signal.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We manufacture a line of traffic =
signals that are=20
dimmable using ordinary phase cut dimmers.&nbsp; These signals do not =
use a=20
power supply.&nbsp; They respond well to phase cut dimming.&nbsp; =
</FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>The only problem you might experience is that most =
triacs in=20
even a small dimmer control are rated 600 watts or more.&nbsp; Now in =
simple=20
terms,&nbsp; the triac is normally pulsed to switch it to the "on"=20
condition.&nbsp; Then it&nbsp;is held conducting (on) by load =
current.&nbsp;=20
Since&nbsp;an LED traffic light only uses 4-5 watts,&nbsp; the low load =
current=20
may not keep the triac&nbsp;on reliably.&nbsp; This results in severe =
and=20
unacceptable flicker at dimmed settings.&nbsp; One solution (don't =
laugh) is to=20
use another load (like a big power resistor), to hold the triac =
on.&nbsp; Of=20
course this eliminates the benefit of power savings for the LED =
signal,&nbsp; so=20
clearly not recommended.&nbsp; The recommended method&nbsp;is to use a =
dimmer=20
rated for very small loads.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>We also do automatic night time dimming =
by=20
photocell sensor and dimming&nbsp;solar flashers.&nbsp;&nbsp;Most of our =
sales=20
are 220V, but we are starting to get 120V orders.&nbsp; Our =
signals&nbsp;lack=20
regulatory approval, which you may need (Thailand has no regulatory =
requirements=20
yet).&nbsp; So just thought you might like to know that&nbsp;dimming is =
very=20
possible.&nbsp; Lots of info, reliability info, and specs on our web =
site.&nbsp;=20
I hope this post is not&nbsp;too commercial.&nbsp; Moderator feel free =
to=20
cut.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Best Regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Peter Guagliano<BR>Director of=20
Engineering<BR>Ecolux International Co. Ltd.<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.ecoluxint.com">www.ecoluxint.com</A></FONT></DIV></BOD=