[Darksky]Re: Czech Republic Passes Light Pollution Law

Karolyn Beebe
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:55:26 -0600

Jan Hollan wrote > I forgot to publish the original Press
Release here in time, sorry.. >>

Dear Jan,
Your are forgiven! Judging by the notes below, you have
been very busy since the media learned about the brave
new Czech law. It was announced on National Public
Radio on 3/25. The audio is linked in Light From Above:
 http://www.lightfromabove.org/index.html

Check the News Archives for another audio and article.
These links are appearing as well in the pages of the
International Dark-Sky Association:
 http://www.darksky.org/ida/links/featured.html

These arrived this morning...

From: "Kevin Beamer" <k_beamerAyahoo...>
To: <VALightingAYahooGroups...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 8:48 AM
Subject: [valighting] Czech this out....

> Good middle-European food, great beer, and now this.
> I might have to move.
>
> The article below is from yesterday's Washington Post:
>
> The Czech Republic has become the first country in
the world to pass a law aimed at reducing light pollution,
which has increasingly become a problem for
astronomers trying to study the heavens.

> The law, which passed both houses of parliament and
was signed by President Vaclav Havel on Feb. 27, goes
into effect June 1. It requires citizens and groups to "take
measures to prevent the occurrence of light pollution of the
air," defining light pollution as "every form of illumination
by artificial light which is dispersed outside the areas it is
dedicated to, particularly if directed above the level of the
horizon."

> Violators will be subject to fines of up to 150,000
Czech crowns (about $4,200), according to a statement
released last week at the International Dark-Sky
Association annual conference in Tucson.

> "Many of my fellow citizens are as concerned as I
am about the glare created by poorly designed lighting;
they're happy action was taken," said Jenik Hollan, a
Czech astronomer who pushed for the new law.

--  Compiled from reports by Rob Stein

Clear and dark skies,
Kevin Beamer