Three sets of charts for GaN

Connie and Mark,

a public directory

http://amper.ped.muni.cz/jenik/astro/maps/GaN-Orion/2012/

contains all eps and pdf files now, zipped as well (allall.zip contains but the assembled charts for all latitudes, i.e. the all.pdf files). Two alternative zenith extinctions are there, 40 cmag and 25 cmag. Of course, I'll add some description to the directory later etc., like for 2011.

Crux is below horizon on Jan 18 at 0 degrees, and too low even for -10 and -20. People have to wait for larger stellar time to get it high enough. Even on Feb 16, Crux cannot be used at latitudes 0 and -10 at 21 local mean time. I've deleted such non-usable maps.

At 0 degrees, they can observe at 01 h on January 18, this is the stellar time of Apr 15, 21 h, so they have a proper map available for using Crux. In the evening, they have to use Orion.

Otherwise I hope the maps are OK. Perhaps some meantime sets could be made for Leo, as Mars moves around Regulus.

Gray maps will follow, this takes more time, but I hope to have them before Monday.

cheers,
 Jenik

Connie and Mark,

the above address begins to have some maps now, I'began to work on it today. Orion is ready, in its black on white pdf version. Hope to make most of the maps ready today, then the png with black background made on windoze will follow. And then all the zip and tarballs, as for 2011, and a directory renaming from .2012 to 2012.

Fortunately, I've streamlined the map production a year ago, so it should go well now.

Orion is 50 degrees vertically now, to have Sirius on all maps. Having zenith inside some maps, I've added the four main colurs, as was the case with Leo.

What about making maps for ZE = 40 cmag as well -- these might be good for Orion etc. being below 30 degrees? ZE = 25 cmag might be confusing in such situations... I made it for Mar 17, in a subdirectory turbid.

Of course, varying zenith extinction is not the only issue, skyglow from manmade sources may increase quite a lot toward horizon as well, contributing to the stars being less perceptible there. The effect of glow domes over settlements resembles large extinction in its effect on stellar visibility.

best regards,

Jenik