Jenik, introducing himself

Hello,

I'm happy to become a list member. I am a teacher of astronomy and physics
from Brno, Czechia. I have made lectures and articles on global warming
since 1990, since 1994 I am writing and giving advice on sustainable
building and energy fluxes as well.

Recently, I'm trying to introduce and promote the idea of passive houses
in Czechia
(I took part on the
    Linkname: Das Passivhaus in der Praxis
 a month ago, it was very nice.)

I see _thick_ strawbale walls as the most promising technology for
building cost-effective passive houses (as promoted by http://cepheus.de)
which would not be just barely passive, but with ease and advantage. I did
not realize how easy it is, until I was pointed at
    http://www.baubiologie.at/asbn/re_hausderzukunft.htm
 -- frankly, before I thougt that straw insulates perhaps twice worse than
EPS (but it holds just for highly-pressed straw panels with triple density
as made by Stramit) and considered the needed thickness as a bit
prohibitive, if there is not plenty of space.

A lot of straw in the construction enables climate-positive building,
where net greenhouse emissions from making a new house (maybe including
all equipment) would be negative, thanks to maybe 10+ tons of carbon
stored in the house. A boom of such activity would be no threat to the
environment.

My role in the list is to educate myself and perhaps to copy or even
translate the most interesting postings to some Czech mailinglists, as
those ones, which I maintain at http://amper.ped.muni.cz (with an
up-to-date sw). There are dozens of people in Czechia who are fond of
strawbale building.

Jenik Hollan
                                Jan Hollan
              N. Copernicus Observatory and Planetarium in Brno
Kraví hora 2, CZ - 616 00 Brno                        +420 (5) 41 32 12 87

                                   home:
Lipová 19, 602 00 Brno                                         43 23 90 96

                 volunteer of the Ecological Institute Veronica
Panská 9, 602 00 Brno, Czechia                  fax:  +420 (5) 42 21 05 61

e-mail: hollan@ped....cz             http://astro.sci.muni.cz/pub/hollan