Re: Czech Lighting costs

Dear Mr. Gorman,

Thank you for your query about the new Czech national law on outdoor lighting.

First, let me answer your first question about the cost.   In general, a new law to control light pollution should cost very little, if anything.   One way to do this is to ensure only quality lighting is installed for new installations.   Quality lighting reduces glare, improves visibility, protects the nighttime environment.  Everyone wins.  Even though a specific fixture could cost more to install, the life cycle costs are usually much lower.   For fixtures that are already installed, we recommend they be "fixed" as they wear out or become defective.  Then the costs are absorbed by the normal maintenance costs of outdoor lighting.

What are the chances that other countries will enact laws to control light pollution?  The likelihood is very high.  Light pollution is unlike other environmental problems such as disposal of nuclear waste.  The solutions to light pollution save energy and protect the nighttime environment.  As you may be aware, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Maine, Virginia, and other states have recently passed laws to control light pollution.  Also, Lombardy, the most populated region of Italy, recently passed a new law, as have other cities and regions around the globe.  It's only a matter of time before other national parliaments take action.  It's just common sense.

Bob Gent
European Liaison Officer
International Dark-Sky Association
www.darksky.org
   Preserving our heritage of dark-skies and protecting
the nighttime environment through quality outdoor lighting