Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:24:12 EDT
From: CtStarWchr@aol...
To: DarkSky-list@yahoogroups...
Subject: [Nelpag] Another letter received from Joe Lieberman

Greetings:

Today I received a second letter from US Senator Joseph Lieberman regarding
his concerns and views about Light Pollution reform.  It is three pages long.
 I had written to him three weeks ago urging him to provide support for CT
HB-5449 with his old pals in the Connecticut General Assembly if he happened
to visit his office in the Hartford area.

I do not know if he did this or not but our latest Light Pollution law passed
both Houses of the CT General Assembly with unanimous support without a
single nay vote!  :-))  Connecticut will require shielded FCO lighting on ALL
streets and roads (even dirt roads) as soon as the Governor signs the passed
Bill into law.  Details are available at:

http://www.cga.state.ct.us/2001/cbs/H/HB-5449.htm

One very poignant statement in Senator Lieberman's letter stated:

"Light Pollution has nothing to do with increasing nighttime safety, utility,
or security.  Instead, this wasted light only serves to produce glare,
clutter, light trespass (when someone's outdoor lights trespass on another's
property), and light pollution wastes energy, money, and natural resources,
as well."

Another poignant paragraph reads:

"We must also continue to enforce and strengthen our provisions of the Clean
Air Act since air pollution from power plants, mobile sources, factories,
cities, fires, and other sources can reduce visibility during the day and at
night.  The Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) regional haze rule is
designed to enhance and protect visibility at large national parks and
wilderness areas.  Air pollution reductions will prevent further
deterioration of night sky quality and haze conditions."

Does this guy know the outdoor lighting situation or what?  Another paragraph
begins with:

"Quality light improvements can also reduce light pollution, thereby
increasing visibility at night, reducing glare, and resulting in significant
energy savings."

The letter is too long to be appropriate for me to share the Senator's entire
message with the group.  When I wrote to him last month I also asked the
Senator to consider being a speaker at the 2002 IDA semiannual meeting that
will be held in Boston, but he did not say anything about his intent to speak
before us.

Clear skies,

Cliff Haas
     ________