Re:[Esbn-techresearch] new compression tests?

Hannes Hohensinner <hohensin@mail....tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
[snipped]
>we are looking for the most recent compression tests of big bales.

Hannes et al;

I’m wondering if your group has a copy of the 1996 Canadian tests (available
from Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca ) done on
pre-stressed,two-string bale wall panels ?

The pre-stressing process mentioned in the 1996 report utilises the plaster
mesh as the tensioning element (intiially using automobile scissors jacks
and later using a pneumatically-pressurised rubber tube to apply tension to
the mesh and pressure to the straw) thereby enabling one to pre-compress the
SB wall panel (hence achieving higher density bales) to anticipate any
desired load levels.

I'm not sure that the compression test data for monster bales would be of
any relevance since the stress levels on the straw would be much lower due
to the increased bearing area of the large bales.

That being said, the compression resistance of the straw becomes moot since
it is ultimately the plaster skins which take all of the gravity loads and
for slender walls, so it becomes a matter of designing lateral load
resistive systems to ensure stability.

  --- * ---
Robert W. Tom
Kanata, Ontario, Canada