Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 2:00 PM
Subject: [Strawbale] newspaper insulation and waterproofing

Hi folks,  First, thanks for the replies on waterproofing the bathroom.  I am actually attracted to the idea of the paint from holland of which I should recieve a sample soon.  The linseed oil idea sounds good too, but I understand that is only makes the plaster water-resistent, and I am talking about direct contact with water (in a homemade shower stall), so I need a water-proof solution. . ..  If I go with the tiles I will let you know, Barbara.

so here´s my new lo-tech question:

There are some gaps created by carpentry that i want to insulate before covering.  Most of these will be filled with loose straw, but in some areas it would by hard to use straw because it will fall out. I had thought of using wadded up newspaper to fill in these difficult spots.  Any comments on that idea?  I remember someone in the Austria reunion talking about the uses of newspaper, but who?

thanks, Rikki

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*