Ski slope lighting

For skiing in those remaining places in Europe, where it is possible still
now in mid-June, nobody would demand any artificial lighting probably. The
day is so long that everybody should be tired enough after 21:00
summertime.

However, in winter, ski slope lighting is a tremendous source of light
pollution, with an especially quick rise, and damaging those areas which
have been relatively good until quite recently. We should be very
offensive against it. NO new strong lighting for the next winter season,
even when FS!

In the today's digest of the DSLF a discussion began, a first one in
English at all. For those who don't take the list, I've put this digest
in a public archive of selected digests,
  http://amper.ped.muni.cz/jenik/letters/dsa/msg00041.html

DSLF has no archive available for members. It may be a good reason to
become a member right now and perhaps store the digests in a separate
folder individually (through .procmailrc in UN*X, with lines like

:0
* ^Subject: \[DSLF\]  *Digest Number
/home/jhollan/mail/dslf

)

No need to read all the postings immediately. I'm unable to do that for
more than a year. But, having a separate folder, you can search for topics
there, if needed. Or you can look into it when somebody gives a hint say
in this low-traffic magnitude6.

DSLF is currently the most active English-written forum on the night
environment (OLF was such in the past and may be in the future again, with
the advantage of the members-accessible archive, but with the implied
disadvantage of a bit less privacy).

jenik

PS.

I'd be very grateful for any info on the influence of winter slope
lighting on wildlife. One of the arguments in favour of allowing one new
(overkill) installation in Czechia has been that there are no insects
active in that time.