Re: Mbol zero point

Dear Roger Cayrel,

thank you very much for the definition of the bolometric scale. It's nice
that some things in astronomy cease to be vague.

Also the "nominal Sun" is a handy thing: the standardized value
(1367.57 W.m-2 in terms of the "solar constant")
seems to sit just on the top of the variability band of the most recent
data, as given at
         http://www.pmodwrc.ch/solar_irr/solar_irr.html

I attach a very simple programme doing the conversions and using now the
value you gave me. There is a Pascal source and a binary for DOS and
Linux. It is a pity that the zero-level flux densities for
the non-bolometric cases remain poorly known. Or don't they?

To be perhaps more useful, I offer two texts of Tom van Flandern, which
helped me much to chose a place for viewing the August 11 eclipse --- from
the very edge of the band of totality:

            http://www.metaresearch.org/edge/eclipses.htm
and mainly
            http://www.aspsky.org/html/mercury/9701/vanflan.html

It seems that his simple advice is not at all well known, and I would
surely behave foolish if I had not come across a text like that some years
ago.

Perhaps the Paris Observatory might incorporate some of that advice
in its www pages.

Best regards,

Jan

  [ The following attachments were DELETED when this message was saved:  ]
  [ A Application/ZIP segment of about 36,282 bytes,                     ]
  [    described as "conversion programme"                               ]