Board of Directors

Dear IDA,

I've been asked by some IDA members to become a candidate to the Board of
Directors. As this requires submitting two kinds of information signed by
me, we've decided I send it to you myself, proposing my own nomination in
this way. The two needed documents are below.

Please forward this letter to the members of IDA Nominating Committee (as
it contains a lot of URLs, printed version would be not enough). This
letter is an open one, accessible within
            http://amper.ped.muni.cz/jenik/letters/public/

with best regards,
 Jan Hollan
 (called Jenik by colleagues)

 "I would like to be considered as a candidate to serve
  on the IDA Board of Directors and promote the goals
  of the organisation, if elected."

  Curriculum vitae, as a 2007 candidate to the IDA Board of Directors:

Born Dec 3, 1955 in Brno, Czechoslovakia, still living there (Czech
Republic now). Studied physics at Masaryk University in Brno, graduated in
1980 with a thesis dealing with spectroscopy. In 1983 passed an exam for
the title 'RNDr.' in plasma physics (something more than a MA degree). 1983
married with Dr. Yvonna Gailly. Two children, born 1984 and 1988.

Amateur work at N. Copernicus Observatory and Planetarium in Brno since
1970, professional since 1980. Educator doing some research in meteor
astronomy decades ago, then in didactics of astronomy; since 2001 in the
pollution of the natural night environment by artificially added light.
Teaching astronomy at the Fac. of Education in the nineties, lecturing
on environmental issues at Masaryk Uni since 2005. Graduate student at
Faculty of Medicine (investigating health effects of light).

Lectures and articles on climate change since 1990, on energy efficiency
since 1994, on outdoor lighting since 1996 (entered the International Dark
Sky Association). Established a group for protection of the night
environment by the Czech Astron. Soc. in 1999. Legislative efforts to
protect night environment against man-made light since 2001, with much
publicity worldwide (but not so great success in his country) since 2002.
Leads Czech section of IDA established in 2002 (its recent reports see
http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/ida/). Honoured by IDA in 2002 (Executive
Director's award) and 2003 (Hoag-Robinson award).

Software to evaluate photometry files in respect to the produced skyglow
and illuminance of the ground (http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/ies2) and a
method to measure luminances and illuminations by digital imaging
(http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/luminance). Broad-scoped investigation of
night environment in Czech Republic and in its largest National Park in
2003-2006 (http://amper.ped.muni.cz/noc/) using this method. Posters on
measuring light at two medical conferences (see subdirectory english). The
only European participant on the Ecology of the Night conference in 2003.
Edited the Czech translations of 2007 IPCC Summaries for Policymakers
(http://amper.ped.muni.cz/gw/ipcc_cz and several official sites).

Fluent in German, Russian and Croatian as well, able to understand French
and Italian texts (translation of the famous Lombardy law into Czech).
Member of the Czech Assoc. for Nature Conservation. Local representative
in Brno-centre, member of the Green Party. Prepared to communicate through
mail, phone (or Skype), or even the most-demanding Internet technologies
like video conferences (backed by Masaryk Uni in Brno), willing to attend
the 2008 IDA Annual Meeting & Conference if really needed (climate
protection considerations regarding air flights).

For further activities on night environment conservation and restoration
see http://www.astro.cz/darksky. Or more personal, the BBC programme
stored in http://amper.ped.muni.cz/light/audio/.

Jan Hollan,
Brno, 2007-09-13