[magnitude6] IDA Sections Update 2003-1

To all IDA Sections,
bcc: Board, Affiliates, and Friends,

On the behalf of IDA, thank you all for your memberships and enthusiasm in
supporting dark skies and better quality lighting.  This e-mail provides a
news update and reminders.

The IDA annual spring meeting is fast approaching and will be held in Tucson,
Arizona, USA, March 20-23, 2003.    On Sunday afternoon, March 23, we will
hold an IDA sections working group meeting from 13:00 to 16:00 Arizona time.
We have several interesting talks scheduled, and we will review the second
edition of the IDA section handbook.  We look forward to seeing many of you
there.   Additional information and registration forms for the meeting are
available on IDA's web site.

Last year was a very productive year for international activities.  Among
many global conferences on protection of the night sky, several were held in
Europe including the 2nd European Symposium for Protection of the Night Sky
in Lucerne, Switzerland, and an IDA Regional Meeting in Venice, Italy.  Both
of these conferences published unanimous and far-reaching declarations.
Soon, there will be a new Executive Committee of IDA Europe in full
operations.  We anticipate an even faster pace of progress as we meet with
Environmental Commissioners and Ministers.

The effects of IDA's fall 2002 meeting in Boston are being felt everywhere.
The list of distinguished speakers was like a "who's who" in professionals
dedicated to controlling light pollution.  We look forward to many more
successful meetings.

Thank you for all the descriptive annual section reports sent to IDA.  These
are very helpful and record the encouraging progress being made
internationally.  For section leaders, if you have not sent your 2002 annual
reports, please do so ASAP.  Copies should be sent to me at RLGent1@aol...
as well as to the main IDA office at ida@darksky....

As a final reminder, IDA International Lighting Award deadline has passed. We
thank all those who have sent in nominations for these prestigious awards.
If any section or affiliate leader wants to submit a late award, we may be
able to accept a few more, if you act promptly.  What a great way to reward
those who have taken an effort to control light pollution.  In addition,
these awards will receive considerable press attention and will help with
educational outreach in your regions.

Most of you received the December 2002 notice that IDA has established a new
Youth Award.  During the IDA's annual spring meeting, we will make this award
for work that has been done by students worldwide to control light pollution.
 This includes a cash award!

The IDA youth award is given in honor of George and Edythe Taylor.  George
was a well known, long term, lighting engineer who won honors from the
Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA) for his
contributions to the field. He was always interested in and supported
education.  The deadline is February 7, and submissions will be judged for 3
grade ranges:  Kindergarten - 6, 7-9, 10-12.   For more information, see:
http://www.darksky.org/education/edaward.html

Bob Mizon, the leader of the UK's Campaign for Dark Skies (CfDS), has written
a superb book titled, "Light Pollution, Responses and Remedies."  IDA has a
new agreement with the publisher, and has begun distributing this book at a
significant discount.  Now is the time to buy your copy, and help IDA at the
same time!  Contact ida@darksky... for additional information.
Congratulations to Bob for his outstanding achievement.

We ask all of you to support USA's National Dark Sky Week (NDSW).  This event
has already received some press attention, and it is fully endorsed by the
American Astronomical Society, the Astronomical League, and the IDA.
Jennifer Barlow, a high school student in Midlothian, Virginia, USA, began
this new event. NDSW is set to occur from April 1 to 8, 10 pm to 12 am
(Eastern and Mountain Time Zones) and 9 pm to 11 pm (Central and Pacific Time
Zones.) The purpose of the event is to raise awareness about light pollution.
 For additional information, visit:
http://www.nationaldarkskyweek.htmlplanet.com.

Before closing, let me provide a few words about legislative activities.
Many state laws are under consideration in the USA.  Wyoming, Massachusetts,
Virginia, and Connecticut are just a few.  In addition, great progress is
being made with the Model Lighting Ordinance, and there should be much news
on this subject at the IDA conference in Tucson, AZ, USA.  Thank you to
everyone for making this progress possible, especially James Benya, the WG
chair.

In closing, on the behalf of everyone at IDA, congratulations to everyone for
all of your outstanding achievements and for your generous support of IDA.
We are making an enormous difference.  See you at the IDA meeting in Tucson.

Best wishes for continued success in 2003!

Bob Gent
European Liaison Officer and
Chair, Sections Working Group
International Dark-Sky Association