[magnitude6] IDA Europe News Update

To all European Section Leaders,
Affiliates, and Friends of IDA

Thank you very much for your memberships in the International Dark-Sky
Association (IDA) and for your outstanding work protecting the nighttime
environment and our heritage of dark skies.  Your efforts are much needed and
greatly appreciated.  Much has been happening over the past year, and I
wanted to share some of the good news with you.

IDA's membership and influence continues to grow rapidly.  We have passed
8,000 members from 69 countries worldwide, and we continue to grow at an ever
faster pace.  News media attention is also growing, and we have received an
increased number of reports in major magazines, newspapers, radio and TV
stations.  This has been especially true in Europe where journalists and TV
producers are working on new light pollution programs.

Bob Mizon, of the UK's Campaign for Dark Skies, has just published a new book
about light pollution and the remedies.  It's clearly a must have!   You've
all heard of the world light pollution maps by Pierantonio Cinzano and other
IDA Italy members.  This outstanding research has been drawing much media
attention internationally.  In addition, IDA Italy is our fastest growing
section in the world, and they have an outstanding record concerning new
outdoor lighting controls.

Since my move from the USA to Italy last August, I have been fortunate to
attend excellent meetings across Europe.  This is a good indicator for our
future progress.  In my first "European" meeting last August, I met with
Andreas Haenel in northern Germany, and we had excellent discussions about
the progress of the dark-sky movement in Germany.  He shared with me an
excellent publication on light pollution published in Austria in the German
language -- another must have!

Also last August, Dave, Mary Crawford, and I met with IDA Italy members in
Sirmione, a scenic town on Lago di Garda in northern Italy.  Our IDA Italy
members have wonderful enthusiasm.  A few weeks later in September, we
attended a very productive annual meeting of Dark Skies Switzerland in
Zurich.  This was an excellent summary of the progress being made in
Switzerland.

In early November, the UK's Campaign for Dark-Skies (with major assistance
from Urbis Lighting Company, a member of the Lumec Group) hosted an
outstanding conference on Light Trespass in London.   Clearly, the momentum
for better outdoor lighting to protect our nighttime environment is building
quickly.

That's the good news.  Now, I'd like to recommend some further actions.  We
need to continue building momentum.  Here are some goals:

1.  IDA Membership in Europe could be much stronger. This would help all of
us.  I would like to challenge each and every one of you to double your
membership. There is strength in numbers!  Help us grow.  We have the option
of giving away a major prize in a membership contest.  Help IDA think of ways
to do this.

2.  The European Union is maturing, so why not address light pollution with
them?  It is our understanding that astronomers in the UK and IDA Italy
members have begun initial contacts with the EU Environmental Minister
concerning light pollution.  We should continue this effort at a higher
level.  Can any of you accompany me to a meeting with EU Officials?   I will
need your help.  Although IDA has many members in the EU, I am only a visitor
in the EU.  You advice is needed on how to proceed.

3.  Better cooperation between IDA sections and affiliates is needed.  IDA is
here to help you.    Fortunately, I have the time to visit you directly.
How can we better work together?  I am quite familiar with legislative
techniques in the USA.  I know these are not always applicable in Europe, but
I think you could gain experience from hearing about our successes and
mistakes.  What can we do to assist you in achieving your goals?

4.  In some European countries we have no sections or affiliates.  Does
anyone have any ideas on how we might gain more members and promote new
European sections?

I hope we have given you some good ideas to consider.  On the behalf of IDA,
we look forward to working with you to protect the beauty of our night skies.
 There is much to be done, but with your help, the future will be much
better.

Merry Christmas to All and Best wishes for a Successful New Year.

arrivederci,
             Bob Gent
             Vice-President, Astronomical League and
             European Liaison Officer
             International Dark-Sky Association
                        www.darksky.org
      Protecting the nighttime environment and preserving
   our heritage of dark-skies through quality outdoor lighting

cc:  IDA Board of Directors

Need new boots for winter? Looking for a perfect gift for your shoe loving friends?
Zappos.com is the perfect fit for all your shoe needs!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ltdUpD/QrSDAA/ySSFAA/Kv0qlB/TM