Re: zero elevation and mean Mars radius

You are absolutely correct.

We define the potential of the mean equatorial radius to be zero elevation. We extend this equipotential surface across the whole planet and the MOLA topography is measured with respect to this equipotential surface so that we can determine which way is "downhill".

Hope this helps. We will add the word "equatorial" to our statement on our web site.

Dave Smith
PI, MOLA

Dear Dr. Smith,

in
Linkname: Mars Geodetic parameters from MOLA

the definition
# Zero elevation is defined as the gravitational equipotential surface
whose average value at the equator is equal to the mean EQUATORIAL radius as
determined by MOLA.

seems to me a bit confusing -- should it not read
... to the mean equatorial radius
?

Otherwise, the mean height of equator features would be some 6.7 km, as is
the difference
mean equatorial radius - mean radius

but from the map at
Linkname: Quarter-degree global topographic map of Mars
it is apparent it is not the case, mean equatorial altitude seems to
be close to zero.

I want to point my Czech colleagues to your excellent page (in order to
clear the confusion with ``the highest mountain on Mars''), but it should
be really clear, what is meant by ``height'' (of course, the difference
between Olympus and Ascraeus montes altitudes would change very little by
chosing another equipotential surface).

yours sincerely
Jenik

Jan Hollan
N. Copernicus Observatory and Planetarium in Brno
KravÌ hora 2, CZ - 616 00 Brno +420 (5) 41 32 12 87

home:
Lipov· 19, 602 00 Brno 43 23 90 96

member of the Society for Sustainable Living
and volunteer of the Ecological counselling Veronica
Pansk· 9, 602 00 Brno, Czechia fax: +420 (5) 42 21 05 61

e-mail: hollan@ped....cz http://astro.sci.muni.cz/pub/hollan