Re: carbon emissions of N.Korea etc.

An excellent idea on North Korea.

Let me share one additional idea on Luxembourg. We have thought on occasion about doing emissions inventories for cities, but it is very tough, and the same could be true for small countries. Apparently the price of motor gasoline is notably lower in Luxembourg than in neighboring countries. A consequence is that there is some incentive to buy motor gasoline when in Luxembourg but to use the gasoline when traveling elsewhere. CO2 emissions actually end up getting counted at the point of the last fuel sale because you do not know then where the fuel is actually burned. The Luxembourg value could be slightly inflated because of this.

Thanks again,

Gregg

At 07:42 PM 7/2/01 +0200, you wrote:
Dear Gregg Marland,

> this does not make too much difference.  The biggest difference is for The
> Netherlands, a country with a very large petrochemical industry.

I am glad I don't really need to change my sentence that just Luxembourg
and Norway are ``ahead'' of Czechia in per capita fossil carbon emissions
in Europe. I guess even future numbers will probably obey it. If Czechia
will not make much better (following my recommendations...).

> I really do not have a good answer for North Korea.

I remember that each communist country is proud of its consumption of coal,
as a measure of ``progress''. It was so in Czechoslovakia as well, when I
was young. North Korea is the only old-fashioned communist system, so they
may be inclined to give larger numbers then real.

No wonder I did not notice Somalia, as I do not speak about the other end
of per-capita emissions sequence, except China.

> Someday soon I hope to visit your lovely country.  Several years ago I had
> planned a trip to Prague.  I got as far as Vienna but my mother had an
> accident and I had to return home without going on to Prague.

Well, from my city, Brno, it's actually nearer to Vienna than to Prague.
Also the relationships were stronger with Vienna up to the
Twenties. However, Prague is really worth to be seen, Brno is nothing
special, just the environmental movement is more fruitful here. Of course,
I would be proud to welcome you at our Observatory.

with best regards,
 Jenik

Gregg Marland                               865-241-4850  phone
Environmental Sciences Division             865-574-2232  fax
Oak Ridge National Laboratory               gum@ornl...
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6335
USA