           From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:54:05 -0500
   From: Steve Davis <w2sgd@juno...>
Subject: Re: exact answer on shielding and skyglow

kgfleming wrote:

> ...computer generated streetscape...
> Surface luminance was clearly greater in the fco version.

This can also be seen from photometric data (real measurements)
from various manufacturers.  There is a 40 percent increase at
the nadir with the GE M250 cutoff.  So, why not reduce the wattage
and save some money -- just like the change from 175w MV to 70w HPS
for the same illumination level, which, BTW, most municipalities
bought into as a good idea -- even without being told the CRI
would be reduced from 45 to 22 making everything look ghastly yellow?

So course, the counter argument is decreased uniformity --
which is only 10 percent closer spacing -- but most poles aren't
evenly spaced to start with (using existing poles intended for
power transmission -- with street lighting as an after thought
and as a way to increase revenue) and there is always built-in
padding for "safety" making that 10 percent "small potatoes"
even without headlights.

> The problem with his reasoning, of course, is ...

he is trying to CYA and protect the status quo from those
pesky environmentalists which now include astronomers.

> After the meeting I asked him ....  I never was able to get them.

You "got him."  He disappeared -- into the glare.

Fabio wrote:

> Really I don't understand the line of defence of the
> light producers (and polluters).

See above!  Change is always difficult and old habits
are comfortable.  Change can be for the better, and those
that rise to meet to challenge WIN!

Replacing all those SCO with FCO would certainly increase
sales, but it could also be seen as an admission of guilt
and obsolete the current product line.  Far better to BS
the customer than retool the production line.

Their turf is being invaded (by outsiders who are really
the end customers and consumers -- and serving them is in
the interest of their corporate bottom line.  Of course,
marketing is all about convincing the customer he needs
something and you have what he needs.  "Put it on; it fits.")

Shouldn't our bottom line be "Meet our needs, or we
will find somebody else who can?"  Increase demand
and supply will follow. -sd