      1. Re: Re: exact answer on shielding and skyglow
           From: kgfleming@att...
      2. Re: Re: exact answer on shielding and skyglow
           From: "Fabio Falchi" <fabio_falchi@yahoo...>
      3. FCO/CO Performance Comparison
           From: "Leo Smith" <leo@smith...>
      4. Re: FCO/CO Performance Comparison
           From: George Nickas <nickas@hanover...>
      5. Re: FCO/CO Performance Comparison
           From: "Fabio Falchi" <fabio_falchi@yahoo...>

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:45:17 +0000
   From: kgfleming@att...
Subject: Re: Re: exact answer on shielding and skyglow

From: Jan Hollan <jhollan@amper....muni.cz>

>...As this is one of our main controversies with the lighting industry (they
> mostly claim the opposite), it's really important to prove that sky
> luminance almost nowhere increases several times due to snow, as it would,
> if the lit terrain would be dominant (it would be dominant in a completely
> FS-luminaires lit city)...

Jan,

A couple of years ago I gave a talk to the local IESNA chapter. It was a two part program and I followed a Lithonia sales rep who gave his take on the dark sky issue. I didn't know what to expect from him and he mostly dismissed dark sky concerns. One of his visual aids was a computer generated streetscape viewed from zenith of first a semi-cutoff streetlight array, then the same scene utilizing fco instead of sco. Surface luminance was clearly greater in the fco version. This he reasoned, demonstrates that sco creates less sky glow than fco.

The problem with his reasoning, of course, is that his images depicted surface brightness of the ground when viewed along a specific angle. Conceivably the images demonstrate that fco results in greater ground reflectance toward the zenith. That however, demonstrates nothing about the aggregate amount of ground reflectance at all angles above horizontal, all of which impacts upon sky glow.

After the meeting I asked him if I could get a copy of these images he used. He said they were from Lithonia and would have to check with them. I never was able to get them.

Kevin

Message: 2