           From: Susan Harder <lookout@hamptons...>
      2. Re: UK fines "light polluters"
           From: Jan Hollan <jhollan@amper....muni.cz>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 06:40:33 -0500
   From: Susan Harder <lookout@hamptons...>
Subject: Main Street retrofit

Press Release
December 7, 2004     East Hampton, NY
Montauk Main Street's Post Top street lights are retrofitted to a "dark
sky friendly" design.
Montauk, NY.

CONTACT:  John Keeshan, Montauk, 631 668-2000
                       Susan Harder, Dark Sky Society, 631 329-0456
                      Anita Greene, Magniflood Manufacturers: 631
226-1000

     Due to concerns about glare and "up" lighting, the Town of East
Hampton has just completed the retrofit installation of over 80 post top
"carriage style" street lamp fixtures.  These fixtures are identical in
daytime appearance to those they replaced.  However, at night, improved
optics produce more light on the ground and lessened glare, because the
light bulb is recessed into the opaque cap.  The previous style, a
"traditional" post top, had the bulb in the center of the globe, which
produce glare and "up" light.  The manufacturer of the original lights
(The Montauk Carriage Light), Magniflood of Long Island, produced the
new design to meet the Town's desire to see their star filled night sky,
clear of "light pollution" from fixtures which emitted too much light
above the fixture.   This project was initiated by concerns about the
night sky, and facilitated by Alec Torkos, Magniflood's distributor at
Revco Electric in Southampton.

     Among the positive comments from:

Long time Montauker:  "It is a beautiful and subtle yet bright enough
illumination pattern that really works!  BRAVO! Much better than the
previous light scatter from those fixtures."  Harry Ellis

Former President of the Montauk Downtown Association (responsible for
the original installation):  "I'm excited that the new lights not only
lessen glare and stray light, but provide more light where it is needed
most:  on the walkways and the road, making it safer for drivers and
pedestrians alike".  John Keeshan

Member of Montauk Citizens Advisory Committee:  "EVERYONE loves the new
lights.... --Richard Kahn."

Dark Sky advocate:  "Montauk is now safer from glare, more beautiful at
night, and our stars can shine through"  Susan Harder.

Long Island light manufacturer:  "We were delighted that we could help
the community of Montauk reach their goal of reduced glare and sky glow
with a new design."  Anita and Ken Greene, Magniflood

Town electrician:  "We also like the fixtures, they have made some
improvements that make it easier to work on and maintain."

Long Island Astronomer:  "The astronomical community is thrilled that
Montauk is committed to restoring and protecting the pristine night sky
over the East End.  Montauk can be an astro-tourism destination,
particularly during the long, clear and dark nights of the winter." Gary
Citro

Susan Harder
Dark Sky Society                  http://www.darkskysociety.org/

PS:  An unintended consequence, is that the unshielded high intensity
lighting on adjacent properties is now more apparent.  These lights will
be addressed in the new lighting code, which will "sunset" lights which
produce glare across property lines, into roadways, and into waterways.

Message: 2