           From: "patric@ghostriders..." <patric@ghostriders...>
      2. RE: Encouraging News from Home Depot
           From: "Richard Klappal" <klappal@xnet...>
      3. RE: Encouraging News from Home Depot
           From: "Richard Klappal" <klappal@xnet...>
      4. Light relay protest
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@lemoyne...>
      5. Re: Light relay protest
           From: Darren Baskill <dbl@star....ac.uk>
      6. More on lp from the BBC
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@lemoyne...>
      7. Re: Light relay protest
           From: "John M. McMahon" <mcmahon@lemoyne...>
      8. Re: Light relay protest
           From: Darren Baskill <dbl@star....ac.uk>
      9. RE: Light relay protest
           From: "Richard Klappal" <klappal@xnet...>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:47:36 -0500
   From: "patric@ghostriders..." <patric@ghostriders...>
Subject: Re: Encouraging News from Home Depot

Leo Smith wrote:

> Home Depot's review of full cutoff lighting fixtures is encouraging. The vendor Captain may be interested in reviewing this new Connecticut building code regulation for Light Pollution Controls, if they have not already.
[snip]
> Exceptions:
> 1. Luminaires with an output of 3500 initial lamp lumens or less.
> 2. Luminaires intended to illuminate the façade of buildings or to illuminate other objects
> including but not limited to flagpoles, specimen trees, statuary and works of art.
> 3. Luminaires for historic lighting. (Acorns)
> 4. Outdoor sports facility lighting of the participant sport area.
> 7. Sign illumination.

That's encouraging that Home Depot is getting on-board (or at least
catching up to the FCO offerings from competition like Lowes) but I'd
take comfort if their decisions were based on a more solid code than one
that exempts some of the most common LP sources.
Not to cast a pallor on what must have been a lot of hard work to get as
far as Connecticut has, but perhaps it should be made clearer that by
the time Home Depot deploys eye- and sky-friendly fixtures, some of the
glaring exceptions in the Conn. code may be remedied?
Patric.

Message: 2